The origins of the global Pride movement can trace their roots to the Stonewall riots of 1969, an uprising against police brutality that has spread around the world. Over 1,000 Pride events have been identified across the globe, each one taking on a local flair. In San Diego, we launch Pride weekend by honoring those beginnings with the Spirit of Stonewall Rally where we celebrate the accomplishments of those at the forefront of our movement and recommit to the work that lies ahead.
Spirit of Stonewall Rally
San Diego’s first rally was held in 1975. The Spirit of Stonewall Rally is a time to recognize and honor leaders who are working hard to preserve our gains and meet the many challenges still facing our community. It is a time for us to honor our origins, celebrate those who are leading the way, and call our community to action around some of our movement’s most pressing issues.
Even in the face of a global pandemic, we will bring the Spirit of Stonewall Rally to our community.
When: Friday, July 16, 2021, 6 PM – 7 PM
Where: Hillcrest Pride Flag, 1500 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Spirit of Stonewall Awardees
Every year, San Diego Pride accepts nominations from the community for the annual presentations of the Spirit of Stonewall Awards. The awards recognize individuals who contribute significantly to the LGBTQ community through their leadership, activism, and fundraising efforts.
In addition to posting the bios and photos of our awardees on our website and announcing them at the rally, we will be hosting live interactive Q&A sessions with each of our awardees after Pride weekend. We want each of you to get to know these activists and organizations on a deeper level. We hope you watch and engage so you can learn, connect, support, donate, and find other meaningful ways to take part in the LGBTQ social justice movement.
San Diego Pride is honored to recognize the following individuals and organizations as our 2021 awardees:
- Champion of Pride – Dwayne Crenshaw
- Community Grand Marshal – Moe Girton
- Stonewall Service Award – San Diego Black LGBTQ Coalition
- Inspirational Relationship – Jamie Arangure & Frannya Tuchman
- Larry T. Baza Arts & Culture Award – Matt Morrow
- Stonewall Philanthropy Award – The Burgess Family
- Community Service – Ana Laura
- Light of Pride – Strong Hearted Native Women’s Coalition
- Friend of Pride – County of San Diego Board of Supervisor Chair Nathan Fletcher
Spirit of Stonewall Program
- Land Acknowledgment
- National Anthem sung by Kori Gillis
- Presentation of Awards
- Indigenous LGBTQ2S+ Resilience – Erica Pinto & Wendy Schlater
- Trans Inclusion in Sports – Paulo Batista & Mack Goehring
- Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing sung by Kori Gillis
- LGBTQ+ Freedom IS Religious Freedom – Reverend Penny Bridges
- LGBTQ+ API Resilience – Alex Villafuerte
- Resilient Justice – National City Councilmember Marcus Bush
- Flag Raising & Somewhere Over The Rainbow sung by Kori Gillis and Allie Smith