Spirit of Stonewall Rally
The origins of the global Pride movement can trace their roots to the Stonewall riots of 1969, an uprising against police brutality that has spread around the world. Over 1,000 Pride events have been identified across the globe, each one taking on a local flair. In San Diego, we launch Pride weekend by honoring those beginnings with the Spirit of Stonewall Rally where we celebrate the accomplishments of those at the forefront of our movement and recommit to the work that lies ahead.
San Diego’s first rally was held in 1975. The Spirit of Stonewall Rally is a time to recognize and honor leaders who are working hard to preserve our gains and meet the many challenges still facing our community. It is a time for us to honor our origins, celebrate those who are leading the way, and call our community to action around some of our movement’s most pressing issues.
Even in the face of a global pandemic, we will bring the Spirit of Stonewall Rally to our community. This year it will be different. We will stream the event live to your homes and mobile devices.
Date: Friday, July 17, 2020 – 6 PM
Spirit of Stonewall Awards
Every year, San Diego Pride accepts nominations from the community for the annual presentations of the Spirit of Stonewall Awards. The awards recognize individuals who contribute significantly to the LGBTQ community through their leadership, activism, and fundraising efforts.
In addition to posting the bios and photos of our awardees on our website and announcing them at the rally, we will be hosting live interactive Q&A sessions with each of our awardees in the lead up to Pride. We want each of you to get to know these activists and organizations on a deeper level. We hope you watch and engage so you can learn, connect, support, donate, and find other meaningful ways to take part in the LGBTQ social justice movement.
2020 Spirit of Stonewall Awardees
- Champion of Pride: Bixby Marino-Kibbee
- Community Grand Marshal: Essential Workers
- Stonewall Service Award: Casa Arcoíris
- Friend of Pride Award: David and Jessica Mier
- Stonewall Philanthropy Award: John Ealy
- Community Service Award: Damon J Shearer
- Light of Pride Award: Reverend Dr. J Lee Hill Jr
- Inspirational Relationship Award: Joyce Marieb, Ph.D and Linda Barufaldi, D.C.
Pre-show starts at 5:30 PM
- Indigenous Land Acknowledgment
- Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing – Kori Gillis
- Honor Guard – San Diego Pride Military Contingent
- Welcome Remarks – Fernando Z. López Jr.
- Spirit of Stonewall Awards
- Community Service Award
- Friend of Pride Award
- Inspirational Relationship Award
- Stonewall Service Award
- Seeking Asylum: Trans Women’s Stories
- Meredith Vezina & Ellen Holzman with Central American asylum-seekers
- Champion of Pride Award
- Queer the Vote / Queer the Census
- Kierra Johnson, Deputy Executive Director, National LGBTQ+ Task Force
- Community Grand Marshal Award
- Combating Anti-Semitism & White Supremacy
- Rabbi Laurie Coskey, Community Leader
- Keynote: Black LGBTQ+ Lives Matter – Criminal Justice Reform
- #TogetherWeRise to November & to Justice
- San Diego LGBTQ+ Youth
- Flag Raising
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow – FRE3STY13
- Closing Remarks