Creating a safe environment for our LGBTQ youth to thrive is part of the ever-critical work of our movement. The Youth Pride Marching Band is a volunteer program designed to foster character development and leadership in LGBTQ-identified youth who wish to participate in the parade by sharing their musical talents in a culturally supportive community.
Youth Marching Band
Join the band!
The Youth Marching band has multiple opportunities to perform during Pride weekend, including the Spirit of Stonewall Rally and the beginning of the Parade. Please sign up to be a part of the Youth Marching Band below.
Things you need to know
- A large, spirited, volunteer musical entertainment ensemble of San Diego County youth to march in the San Diego LGBT Pride Parade. This band and colorguard will perform upbeat music in a way that represents quality and fun!
- Anyone currently enrolled in a school/college band class AND who has completed at least the ninth grade.
- Band or Colorguard
- Any sexual orientation or gender identity — we love our LGBTQ supporters!
- The satisfaction of supporting and entertaining our San Diego LGBTQ Community!
- You get a free SD Pride Youth Marching Band T-Shirt!
- You get a Free Pass for both days to the SD Pride Festival in Balboa Park (transportation not provided).
- Meet new friends from throughout San Diego County.
- Register now for more information, and stay tuned for updates in the future!
- T-Shirt provided.
- You provide for yourself and wear: khaki shorts and black sneakers or marching shoes.
- Hair, hats and/or make-up: be creative!
- Participants will need to provide their own instruments—be sure to coordinate with your music teacher before the school semester ends.
- A limited amount of percussion and sousaphones will be available—please contact the band instrument manager to coordinate this.
- Flags and poles will be provided.
- Same uniform as the band.
- Rehearsals to be announced closer to the event
Other ways to be involved
- Are you a parent who is interested in chaperoning this group on parade day? Use the participant registration link to indicate your interest. Complete the information that is requested on the form, and under the drop down menu for instrument, choose “Parent Chaperone” listed at the end. A background check is required for parent chaperones—we will contact you regarding how to complete this process.
- Donate to this program! Email Kelcie Parra at [email protected].
Questions? Contact Youth Marching Band Coordinator Russ Sperling at [email protected].
Having trouble viewing the form? Click here.